Re: Only Vista is so bloated the vendor lies about its requirements

Hi there,

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
For the record, I run SUSE on a machine with 256 MB or RAM. It copes with
plenty of applications that are run simultaneously. The hardware cost just
165 quid at the time and I suspect it costs under 130 quid at the moment
(was 127 last year at Best Buy). I'm getting a new jumbo-sized monitor in
about 20 minutes! Can't wait...!

I'm running a SUSE 10.1 system with 1GB of RAM, Athlon64 and NV6800GS graphics on a 22" NEC MultiSync, for little over Au$1200. Its certainly a capable 3D beast (Doom3 Ultimate quality at 1600x1200 with 4xFSAA is silky smooth), but its only my want for well-decent 3D-ability that has led me to build such a system. My first linux box was far more modest with only 128MB of RAM on a 1.1GHz AMD Duron. Mandrake 9.0/KDE ran nicely on that, but a free P133/48MB laptop I scored managed to run Red Hat 9.0 with IceWM quite adequately (KDE was a bit too heavy for only 48MB RAM)...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
spamblocker, and replace it with  t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u