Re: [News] Getting Zuned

__/ [ Bobbie ] on Tuesday 10 October 2006 14:33 \__

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 07:27:21 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, arachnid belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> We got zuned, iTuned, and RIAA mooned.
>>>

>> I'm not so sure that they will.  Bear in mind that most of the music
>> these people are buying is total cr*p anyway...  will they even care
>> that they cannot listen to it three or four years later?  How disposable
>> is people's thinking?
>
> Good point.

I know many people whose information (photos, music, documents, contacts,
mail, etc) does not go a considerable amount of time back. Blame system
crashes (e.g. Windows fails to start up, not physical errors), infections,
lack of awareness, sloppy software and so forth. So, I agree with Mark.
Those who know better, on the other hand, benefit from data that has been
accumulated for many years. If saves _a lot_ of work (and time).

I remember trying to recover data I had saved since I was about 15. I could
fetch some bookmarks from Netscape, but I could never recover things like
old music and videos because they occupied too much space.
Application-specific data could not be recovered because it was stores in
some obscure proprietary formats. I learned from my mistakes though.
Fortunately, the Web (as it has matured, got extended and properly indexed)
makes plenty of _non-personal_ data easily available and thus recoverable.
It's interesting to think what, for example, you will be able to produce
from some raw data which you thought was useless, uninterpretable, or lossy.
Take this for example...

http://www.schestowitz.com/Vision/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=135

Also consider things like Google Earth, Web searches, various directories...

A lot of things were not conceivable at the time, but it's natural to assume
that some data will become replaceable, disposable, or conversely -- much
richer than it currently is. That's why local data retention is a good
thing. The more, the merrier. I'm thinking about periodic browser history
dumps. And I log music that I listen to. No system logs though because they
are inflated too quickly. HTTP/FTP logs are luckily very compressible.

Best wishes,

Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer Protocol)
Swap:  1036184k total,   318304k used,   717880k free,    82636k cached