Re: [News] Australia's Mainstream Press Pitches Linux Ease of Use

  • Subject: Re: [News] Australia's Mainstream Press Pitches Linux Ease of Use
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 13:55:26 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:qbxYfysHQM96cW33iZd7WNsZnSc=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Linux more accessible
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Once installed, SLED is impressive. It has a clean, eye-catching look
> | complete with visual effects, animations and transparencies. You can set
> | up multiple desktops and then switch between them with a rotating 3D
> | cube - it's fair to say this is a flashy and cool feature rather than
> | a serious productivity aid.
> |
> | In visual terms SLED is on a level footing with Apple's OS X and
> | Microsoft Vista Aero. Unlike many versions or distributions of Linux,
> | which overwhelm users with myriad options and vast menus of programs,
> | there's an uncluttered feel, making it easy to navigate.
> |
> | This well-designed user interface is perhaps Novell's greatest asset
> | in wooing users away from Windows. Linux often looks too hard - SLED
> | doesn't. In reality it acts in a very familiar Windows kind of way.
> | Despite propaganda, no operating system is intuitive - but this one
> | is certainly easy to learn and won't stress Windows users.
> `----
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/reviews/linux-more-accessible/2006/10/03/1159641319954.html
> http://tinyurl.com/ju5oh
>
> The Age is related to the Sydney Morning Herald, I think. This could reach a
> very wide audience.
>
> (mistakenly posted as a followup with references earlier)

Interesting article. Made more so because of the honesty of the
author. Had he posted the words below in COLA, then the gang would have
savaged him. Any yet those of us who do advocate Linux and have learnt
to love it mention a problem and *bang* its like being attacked by a
bunch of toothless carp.

Ah yes, Gripper! I remember when he bagged his first hippy! That young
man didn't think it was too "groovy".

With thanks to the Simpsons.

Anyway, from the article:

,----
| Moving to any version of Linux is likely to be harder in small
| businesses and homes where there's no resident expert.
|
| For example, when I installed the software on my home system it had
| difficulty recognising my wireless mouse, monitor and ADSL hub; Windows
| XP got everything right first time. It took two or three evenings to
| troubleshoot these problems. So be warned, even an easy-to-use version
| of Linux can be challenging.
`----

Wise words. So basically it might be a detriment since most people don't
want to spend 3 nights ironing out HW issues. Especially if their
Internet connection is down in the meantime.

Maybe time to backtrack Roy and question his credentials?

--
The most important design issue... is the fact that Linux is supposed to
be fun...