Re: [News] Firefox Set [F]ree, Becomes "Gnuzilla" or "IceWeasel"

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ George Ellison ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 23:02 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> ...At least for Debian and maybe its derivatives too.
>>>
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
>>> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuzilla/
>>>
>>> Firefox Set Free in IceWeasel
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3636651
>>
>> Both options sound better than option (c): Keep whining about how Mozilla
>> is corrupting FOSS by protecting its brand name.
>
> I   wonder  if  Swiftfox  and  Flock  have  got   the   same
> restrictions.  Swiftfox  is even optimised for Linux, so  it
> should run faster.

Swiftfox's license does not permit redistribution AT ALL.
Don't know about Flock.

> On  the  issue of brand names, Mozilla has been  working  at
> Redmond recently. The two teams are even sharing ideas while
> Microsoft  holds a knife behind its back (forced upgrade  to
> IE7).  Instead, Mozilla should have caterted for its  roots,
> not   Vista.   Drag-and-drop   support  in   Linux   desktop
> environments, for example, is still lacking. They are up for
> market  share (greed) while betraying principles (and source
> of  contribution).  I would happily move to  something  less
> restrictive  provided  that  plugins  will  work.  Opera  is
> closed-source,  so  it's  not an option although I  have  it
> running.

Really don't see how it's 'restrictive': I can download sources from
mozilla.org, redistribute them, modify them as I see fit, compile them to my
preferences, and give it to anyone or anything I'd care to give it to.

I just can't call it Firefox, or use the official logo. If I were to do the
same thing to a set of Debian sources, and use the official art and the Debian
name, SPI would be on my ass before I had time to blink.

--
The gentlemen looked one another over with microscopic carelessness.