Re: [News] Firefox Set [F]ree, Becomes "Gnuzilla" or "IceWeasel"

__/ [ George Ellison ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 23:02 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> ...At least for Debian and maybe its derivatives too.
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuzilla/
>>
>> Firefox Set Free in IceWeasel
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | One possible outcome is that Debian developers just rename Firefox to
>> | something else. Another possibility is that they just use GNU's
>> | IceWeasel.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3636651
>
> Both options sound better than option (c): Keep whining about how Mozilla
> is corrupting FOSS by protecting its brand name.

I   wonder  if  Swiftfox  and  Flock  have  got   the   same
restrictions.  Swiftfox  is even optimised for Linux, so  it
should run faster.

On  the  issue of brand names, Mozilla has been  working  at
Redmond recently. The two teams are even sharing ideas while
Microsoft  holds a knife behind its back (forced upgrade  to
IE7).  Instead, Mozilla should have caterted for its  roots,
not   Vista.   Drag-and-drop   support  in   Linux   desktop
environments, for example, is still lacking. They are up for
market  share (greed) while betraying principles (and source
of  contribution).  I would happily move to  something  less
restrictive  provided  that  plugins  will  work.  Opera  is
closed-source,  so  it's  not an option although I  have  it
running.