Re: Another Zero-Day Windows Exploit

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 17:25 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Internet Explorer 7 will be delivered as a "high priority" security update
>> (yes, to XP users who already have Firefox). The antitrust folks need to
>> wake up. The 'update' system is being misused; instead, it's used as a
>> marketing tool which hurts rivals.
>
> And how long before third party software demands that "you must have IE7
> installed to use this application"?

Web-based software? C/f Live.

What I sometimes wonder is whether the passive installing of IE7 in XP will
invoke that menu which asks if you wish to make IE your default browser
(although you long ago gave up on it). They might use that power to take
users for a test drive from which there is no easy way back (lockins). They
could also use import wizrds with talking dogs to dazzle and capture the
user's mind.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
Swap:  1036184k total,   513652k used,   522532k free,    76848k cached