Re: [News] Wall Street Organ Replaced by GNU/Linux Cluster

__/ [ GreyCloud ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 19:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ GreyCloud ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 16:55 \__

>>>Nope.  More and more institutions that have limited budgets are going to
>>>digital organs these days.  I've been in conversations with Allen Organ
>>>company in PA., and this year they are having a banner year.
>>>
>>>http://www.allenorgan.com/www/products/mainproducts.html
>>>
>>>And just click on Play Music to hear what a digital organ sounds like.
>>>Their main advantage is realism, but also when music regimens shift all
>>>the organ voices can be changed with a CD.
>>

>> Only works with Windows, Mac or an emulation thereof. And it needed
>> JavaScript to pop up the box... nasty site development choices.
>>

> Found a different manufacturer...
>
> http://www.johannus.com/wm.cgi?type=content&lng=USA&id=383&main=93
>
> There are two mp3 formats.  Do these work okay?
>
> Note that these are digital as well.

Rendered very well in Konqueror and sounds great!! Indistinguishable from the
real thing, but I bet some people stick to pipes for the same reason records
'sound' better on an old gramophone. Nostalgia and music (especially
classical) are interwined. It's about tickling the mind and sometiems bring
back memories. A little bit like the habit of collecting wine... *smile*