Re: "the largest monoculture in history" sez 2B1 mouthpiece

  • Subject: Re: "the largest monoculture in history" sez 2B1 mouthpiece
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 15:35:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 15:22 \__

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/04/olpc-invites-hackers-to-test-break-2b1s-security-systems/

>> One Laptop Per Child has put out a call out to hackers attending this
>> past weekend's Toorcon computer security conference, asking them to
>> assist in breaking the 2B1 laptop "before there is a billion of them out
>> in the field," according to TG Daily. A representative from the project,
>> Ivan KristiÄ?, said at Toorcon that the OLPC will "create the largest
>> monoculture in history" and that it has the potential to spawn "very
>> scary" security problems.
>
>    From a comment there:  ""San Diego (CA) - On October 2, 2006 we
>    printed an article titled, "Hackers invited to break the security on
>    $100 laptops" which detailed a talk given by Ivan Krstic at the
>    Toorcon computer security convention. While we believe the article is
>    accurate, we've pulled it because the talk was given off the record.
>
>    Krstic's talk about the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) was part of a
>    series of 5-minute "lightning" talks meant to replace the cancelled
>    David Maynor and Jon "Johnny Cache" Ellch talk. Apparently just
>    before I walked into the room the speakers were assured by Toorcon
>    staff that the talks were off the record."
>
>    hmmm... interesting"

Published today:

$100 laptop may be at security forefront

,----[ Quote ]
| The $100 laptops planned for children around the world might turn out to
| be as revolutionary for their security measures as for their low-cost
| economics.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061006/ap_on_hi_te/hundred_dollar_laptop

So, a Microsoft-sponsored conference takes a merit and somehow makes it seem
like a danger. The talk was uncalled for and probably neither peer-reviewed
nor selected through moderation phases. That's almost as bad as the Firefox
stand-up comedy. /That/ was not funny (a few days later they said it was "a
joke"). What's funny(ier) are the guy who delivered this FUD.

http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2006/1.CIMG1795_550x574.jpg

http://toorcon.org/2006/cfp/revmischa.html