Re: Microsoft engaging with hackers

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 10:37 \__

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/5413792.stm
>
>     In a few weeks time Microsoft is expected to launch Vista, its new
>     operating system, and in January we will all get to play with the
>     finished version. But how safe will this brave new world be?
>
>     Given the number of attacks Windows usually attracts it is not
>     surprising that Microsoft has been speaking to anyone they think
>     can help.
>
>     A team from Microsoft headquarters went to Malaysia for Asia's
>     biggest gathering of hackers - not to confront the enemy - but to
>     throw the hackers a party.

It gets worse. Microsoft feeds them as well.

Microsoft Secures Vista With LSD

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2003, the group of four Polish security researchers discovered
| the vulnerability that would later be used by others to unleash the
| Blaster worm, but because of distrust over Microsoft's willingness
| to address software flaws at the time, members had to be coaxed
| into sharing their findings.
|
| The group, known as LSD, is now on Microsoft's payroll...
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2001963,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Needless to say, Microsoft aslso feeds the trolls, who are now on the
payroll. There is little denial at all...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
Tasks: 136 total,   2 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie