Re: Linux Users are free from This!

  • Subject: Re: Linux Users are free from This!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:11:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Paul Hovnanian P.E. ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 03:06 \__

> Rex Ballard wrote:
>>
>> NoStop wrote:
>> > Busted! What happens when WGA attacks
>> >
>> > "When Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage software kicks in and
>> > identifies your copy of Windows as "non-genuine," what happens next? On
>> > the surface, at least, Microsoft is all tea and sympathy: "You may be a
>> > victim of software counterfeiting," says the official message that takes
>> > over the Windows start up screen. But that's a funny way to treat a
>> > victim, because everything in the WGA experience is intended to get you
>> > to open your wallet and pay for a new product key and Windows CD, even
>> > if you already own a perfectly legal license."
>> >
>> > "The entire program is couched in language that would make Orwell
>> > proud."
>> >
>> > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=113
>> >
>> > Step through his image gallery of the process to see just how sleazy
>> > this WGA stuff is and just how sleazy Microsoft is to use it on its
>> > customers...
>> >
>> > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?page_id=112
>> >

>> I liked this one even more.
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=150
>>
>> It seems that many corporate machines which were enabled using virtual
>> license keys (one key for an entire division or company) suddenly
>> "deactivated".
>>
>> Yep.  It's about that time folks.  All of those corporate support
>> contracts that were initiated back in October of 2003, when Microsoft
>> demanded "Buy your upgrade support license now, or we'll leave you on
>> your own" - trying to get as many companies as possible to pony up huge
>> amounts of cash for "premium" support services for as much as
>> $150/user/month (rates varied wildly because they were usually
>> negotiated), before they discovere that the users of OEM licenses would
>> get the same information, and now these licenses are beginning to
>> expire, and Microsoft is "Locking them out".
>>
>> My guess is that this was not entirely accidental.  What better way to
>> force an immediate resubscription.  On the other hand, Microsoft
>> wouldn't dare admit that they planted a little "time bomb" into a
>> corporation's computers, which would completely disable every single
>> desktop computer unless they signed another contract for
>> ???,???,???$$$.  After all, that would be extortion.
>
> Extortion is such a bad word. Microsoft prefers 'recurring income
> stream'.
>
>> Keep in mind that someone was recently tried and convicted for
>> demanding $100,000 or he would activate a virus that would disable just
>> a few computers.  Something tells me that telling the judge "It was in
>> the license agreement" wouldn't help much in the sentencing hearing.
>
> Actually, it will help a lot. Particularly for corporate or other
> commercial accounts, the contract language is everything. The home user
> might feel all warm and fuzzy behind layers of consumer protection
> legislation. No such thing exists at the commercial level.

Consumer protection legislation? When was the last time it provided a cushion
to the home user? Or even swayed the behemoth to change its policies
accordingly? Suggesting that home users are sheltered owing to legistlation
is ann overstatement to say the least. They are still overchanrged, treated
like rubbish, locked in, and are being called "thiefs".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
 10:05am  up 8 days 10:49,  8 users,  load average: 1.07, 0.72, 0.93