Re: [News] Mandriva Buys Company

  • Subject: Re: [News] Mandriva Buys Company
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:07:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> PR: Mandriva Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Linbox
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Mandriva, the global editor of Linux distributions, announced today that
>> | it signed a definitive agreement to acquire Linbox FAS ("Linbox").
>> | The agreement remains subject to shareholders approval.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2006-10-05-021-26-NW-BZ-MD
>
> Can't companies ever work together anymore.

No. It's called modern capitalism (which encompasses marketeering). I
call it expansionism, or even more bluntly ... greed.

> What happened to the days when companies could work together

Gone ... together with small shop owners. In a modern capitalist's
utopian ideal, the whole world is just one big conglomerate chain, owned
(and controlled) by an elite few; who get to dictate prices, standards,
and future development to everyone else.

> That should be even more important in the Linux world, we are
> Open Source which means we can share ideas and code

That's what motivates expansionists most; they can't control what they
don't own.

> IBM share, they are bigger than Mandriva, but they see the
> advantage of this wonderous system.

Although better than most, as a corporate entity IBM would gleefully
monopolise the IT sector, given the opportunity.

> I don't like Linux being at the whim of of the marketeers. Actually I don't
> like any company being at the whim of the marketeers. The marketing system
> is doomed to failure anyway but also is the biggest single reason why they
> wont be a planet to stand on because the profit is more important than the
> ozone or the tree or the fish or people or .... {fill in absolutely
> everything}.

Indeed, by the very definition, for capitalists money is everything, to
which trivial things like standards and ethics are secondary (or even
tertiary) considerations.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| Another name for a Windows tutorial is "crash course".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 19:06:41 up 110 days, 19:23,  2 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.42, 0.49