Re: [News] Another Round of Discussions on Software Patents (IP) in Europe

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 06 October 2006 08:24 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> EU gives grudging nod to patent agreement
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Critics say the agreement would take patent issues out of the hands of
>>| the democratically elected European Parliament and would make software
>>| patents strongly enforceable in Europe. Such criticisms led the EP to
>>| scrap a proposed patent directive last year, despite strong backing
>>| from the European Commission and large multinationals such as IBM and
>>| Microsoft. More or less the same groups are now backing and opposing
>>| the European Patent Litigation Agreement (EPLA), according to
>>| industry observers.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| He (Florian Mueller) said the resolution should serve as "a wake-up
>>| call" that software patents are far from a dead issue in the EU. "The EP
>>| is now going to say Maybe, but... instead of No to a proposal that,
>>| among other things, would make software patents strongly enforceable
>>| in Europe," he wrote.
>>|
>>| Software patents have been at the root of several high-profile,
>>| disruptive court cases in recent months, including lawsuits against RIM
>>| and Microsoft. In general, however, they are used by large companies to
>>| compel smaller companies to pay licensing fees, ensuring that the
>>| barriers to competition remain high.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=54439956&rid=-50
>
> These organisations are not going to give up their market entry barriers
> easily, are they?  It would be good to see competition seen as a good
> thing, not a bad thing.  The US does seem to lead the way in trying to
> prevent competition.

Nation-wide competition or /global/ one? Therein lies the issue. Wealth in
the world is a zero-sum game.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"
roy      pts/7                         Thu Oct  5 03:31 - 03:33  (00:01)