Re: [News] "Embedded Linux is Growing at a 20 percent Clip"

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 06 October 2006 08:06 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Embedded Linux: the 'Invisible Ubiquity' in Gadgets
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| While the use of embedded Linux is growing at a 20 percent clip, it
>>| is generally an invisible presence in electronic devices. "Your
>>| average consumer who walks into Best Buy doesn't really care about
>>| the operating system," said Malachy Moynihan, vice president and
>>| general manager of Linksys' home networking business unit. "They look
>>| at a router like you look at your toaster."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/53409.html
>
> This is no surprise, really.  The cost saving associated with using
> linux must be enormous compared with licensing an embedded OS, where
> you're locked in to a vendor, or developing your own, where you're
> locked in to supporting it yourself.

Costs aside, Linux is proven to be secure. Commercial platforms that reuse a
bug-ridden codebase clearly suffer.

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
`----

                        http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

I wonder if cellphones will have the same back doors as servers and desktops.
This would obviate the need for wiretapping and extend the reach overseas
(foreign providers).