Re: [News] "Embedded Linux is Growing at a 20 percent Clip"

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 06 October 2006 08:06 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Embedded Linux: the 'Invisible Ubiquity' in Gadgets
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/53409.html
>>
>> This is no surprise, really.  The cost saving associated with using
>> linux must be enormous compared with licensing an embedded OS, where
>> you're locked in to a vendor, or developing your own, where you're
>> locked in to supporting it yourself.
>
> Costs aside, Linux is proven to be secure. Commercial platforms that reuse a
> bug-ridden codebase clearly suffer.
>
> Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
> Test
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
>| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
>| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
>| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
>| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
> `----
>
>                         http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html
>
> I wonder if cellphones will have the same back doors as servers and desktops.
> This would obviate the need for wiretapping and extend the reach overseas
> (foreign providers).

I would anticipate that they could.  Phones tend to be double-processor
designs, though, with a network processor handling the telephone bit,
and a standard (arm or similar) processor handling the user interface
and "smart" bit.  It's not entirely clear how much control you could get
even if you did manage to crack open the Wince side, although I'd say
that data would be easy to sniff, and if a customer is using a VoIP
client, presumably that could be vulnerable.  Things like traffic
analysis could probably be done easily, too.

The number of feet in a yard is directly proportional to the success
of the barbecue.