Re: [News] 10 Advantages of Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 14:38 \__

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
10 Reasons to Switch to Linux
,----[ Gist: ]
| 1. It Doesn't Crash
1/10th as much as windows does.
(it can still go down in extreme situations, rare as they may be)

You may find that if you ever require a reboot, it's not the result of what's
described as a crash. Hardware issues aside, it's very improbable that Linux
will start to panic once it has booted/started. Reboots are for memory leaks
and iffy software glitches that can only be fixed in obscure ways (without a
reboot that is an 'easy fix'). Again, roboots are /NOT/ a crash. They are
expected, so the user is prepared. They are active rather than passive. It
makes all the difference in the world because loss of work never equates to
a couple of idle minutes (or a nice cuppa).

A tale of Linux robustness for you.

My web/mail server runs Mandrake 10.1 without X.

Recently I completely deleted /usr on it. not only was it more than a week before I noticed, but it's still working flawlessly.

I'll have to sort it out soon, because I want to add Kolab to it, but can't because the package manager is stuffed (it holds it's package database in /usr).

I should add that I don't tend to admin this machine directly, so the lack of a lot of the standard tools hasn't bothered me.