Re: [News] One Guy Administers 279 Linux Workstations in School

__/ [ 7 ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 04:25 \__

> Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Behind the Scenes at an Indiana Linux Deployment
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.eschoolnews.com/eti/2006/10/001568.php
>>>
>>> Can you imagine the cost of 279 machines with proprietary software? Can
>>> you imagine the guy bouncing back and forth removing malware from
>>> hundreds of PC's that are used by children who don't know (Web surfing)
>>> better?
>>
>> I've seen Windows administration staffing projections of about 50 to 1
>> for large organizations.
>
> Surely these botnets are bigger these days.
> Last time somebody got prosecuted,
> numbers being banded about were between 10,000 to 100,000.

*LOL*

That's what they consider a fairly small botnet. It usually nears half a
million, IIRC. I guess it's a matter of bandwidth as requests are sent in
parallel when this identical set of machines is commandeered. Fortunately,
at the moment, it's a just lot of Westerners who will soon be caught. What
happens when people do this in third-world countries where policing is
lenient or no existent? What if the terrorists used these to launch an
attach of the core of the Internet framework. That's why the government is
deeply concerned as it even issues warnings on behalf of MS.