Re: [News] One Guy Administers 279 Linux Workstations in School

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 03:22 \__
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Freeride belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Problem with Windows is that you spend so much
>>> money for shitty half ass managment application and spend most of your
>>> time managing the managment appliation.
>>
>> That seems to be a common thread in the Microsoft applications that I've
>> used.
>>
>>    Word... spend more time getting Word to accept the formatting you
>>    want, instead of writing words...
>
> Have a look...
>
> This was published just a couple of days ago.
>
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/openoffice_writer_intro
>
> "With WYSIWIG word processors people get interested in the final layout of
> the document too soon"
>
> Let's just hope people can grasp the typesetting paradigm and get some actual
> input going while letting the 'brain' of the program handle layout and
> styles (which are interchangeable). The article exemplifies this visually,
> which I think can be helpful when it comes to changing your peers'
> habits.

Yes lets "hope" eh?.

Of course none of this has anything to do with either Linux advocacy or
even Windows knocking.

If a WP like word opens up WYSIWYG word processing to the masses, of
course you're going to get people misuse it.

Unfortunately, the article is TOTALLY and utterly wrong.

The way to write a good document is to structure it FIRST.

PLAN it.

Note : I make a distinction between structure and fonts.

Otherwise the document becomes a mish mash of repeated information with
no flow or logical structure.

The basic formatting and layout mechanisms of something like word or
open office facilitate this.

e.g insert a table of contents FIRST and plan out the flow of your
document from that. Clearly some formatting defaults will be applied at
that time - but this is most desirable. Formatting can always be removed
at a later date.

So, in a word : blah.

--
You can see that there are 25 unread articles in `news.announce.newusers'.
There are no unread articles, but some ticked articles, in

You can fuck that up to your heart's delight by fiddling with the
`gnus-group-line-format' variable.
		-- From the (ding) Gnus 5 documentation, by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen