Re: [News] One Guy Administers 279 Linux Workstations in School

  • Subject: Re: [News] One Guy Administers 279 Linux Workstations in School
  • From: Freeride <freeride@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:50:15 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:52:17 -0700, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Behind the Scenes at an Indiana Linux Deployment
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Simón Anibal Ruiz Rolfs is a technology assistant at Bloomington High
>> | School North in Bloomington, Indiana who is personally responsible for
>> | 279 Ubuntu Linux workstations in 9 English classrooms as part of the
>> | state's Indiana ACCESS program.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.eschoolnews.com/eti/2006/10/001568.php
>>
>> Can you imagine the cost of 279 machines with proprietary software? Can you
>> imagine the guy bouncing back and forth removing malware from hundreds of
>> PC's that are used by children who don't know (Web surfing) better?
>
> I've seen Windows administration staffing projections of about 50 to 1
> for large organizations.

100 to 1 is the norm for Windows, with a few techs set aside for the exec
to care and feed for them. Problem with Windows is that you spend so much
money for shitty half ass managment application and spend most of your
time managing the managment appliation. With Linux you just need ssh/rexec
and a shell to manage 100's of systems with endless flexiablity.