Re: [News] Linux Will Knock Rivals Out of the Server Room

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, l1z3tt3$_$p3culum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<l1z3tt3$_$p3culum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 04 Oct 2006 21:31:23 GMT
<LKVUg.46816$bf5.13082@edtnps90>:
>> Why Linux will dominate the future of servers
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | People will talk about Linux having shoved Windows out. And, there will
>> | be some truth to that. The real reason for the sea-change, though, will
>> | be that Microsoft's way of doing business can't scale with
>> | virtualization, whereas Linux's way can. It's that simple.
>> `----
>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7530619440.html
>
> How deceitful.   The server world is composed of far more players than just
> Windows.   As usual, the lintards compare their OS to a straw man.

And which ones have more than about 5% desktop or
server market share?  I can think of three:

Windows
Linux
MacOSX

Server market share might add HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, and
maybe Tru64, but I don't know their market shares.  In any
event, *Windows* will dominate the future of servers for
some time to come, not because servers will be using it,
but because servers have to deal with the quirks introduced
by Internet Explorer, SQL Server, IIS, and possibly .NET
as well.

IE6 in particular is demonstrably non-standard in the
CSS realm, although I'd have to look up the details.
It annoys the hell out of web designers, presumably --
certainly it throws me for a loop now and again.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
fortune: not found