Re: [News] Microsoft Lobbying in Europe Shows No Signs of Abatement

begin  oe_protect.scr
> EU official joins consultancy serving Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A European Commission official originally chosen to lead its antitrust
>| case against Microsoft left on Friday last week to work for a
>| consultancy that has the software firm as a client, a spokesman said.
> `----
>
> http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-10-03T134311Z_01_L03693228_RTRIDST_0_TECH-MICROSOFT-OFFICIAL.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna
> http://tinyurl.com/h47g3
>

> For the record, this is very relevant to Linux because corruption at
> government-level is sabotage to Linux adoption.

Wow - extreme corruption.  I've the note which says that the Brussels
office does "little" work for Microsoft.  Well, that's not none!
No doubt when Piffault has been suitably brainwashed, threatened and
bribed, he'll be returned to the Commission,  ready to work on the
anti-trust case.

> Also see:
>

> US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Before C. Boyden Gray was named as George Bush's number one person in
>| Europe, he was a lawyer lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34706
>

> US politicians go to bat for Microsoft
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/
>

> Changing the Report, After the Vote
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though. Gerri
>| Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's Worldwide Public
>| Sector division, sent an e-mail message to fellow commissioners Friday
>| evening saying that she "vigorously" objected to a paragraph in which
>| the panel embraced and encouraged the development of open source software
>| and open content projects in higher education. The paragraph read like
>| this:
>|
>| "The commission encourages the creation of incentives to promote
>| the development of open-source and open-content projects at universities
>| and colleges across the United States, enabling the open sharing of
>| educational  materials from a variety of institutions, disciplines, and
>| educational perspectives. Such a portal could stimulate innovation, and
>| serve as the leading resource for teaching and learning. New initiatives
>| such as OpenCourseWare, the Open Learning Initiative, the Sakai Project,
>| and the Google Book project hold out the potential of providing universal
>| access both to general knowledge and to higher education."
> `----
>
> http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission
>

> Feds seek formal extension of Microsoft antitrust deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The U.S. Department of Justice and Microsoft on Wednesday filed a
>| formal application for a two-year extension of portions of their
>| landmark antitrust settlement, with the possibility of stretching it
>| until 2012.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6111240.html

Q:	Heard about the <ethnic> who couldn't spell?
A:	He spent the night in a warehouse.