Re: [News] Ubuntu/GNOME Eye Candy

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Bruce Scott TOK ] on Tuesday 03 October 2006 16:04 \__
>
>> Roy S wrote:
>>
>>>Conky eye-candy
>>>
>>>,----[ Quote ]
>>>`----
>>
>> I think there is too much of this nowadays in Linux...  resource hogging
>> eye candy that not only doesn't help but gets in the way.
>>
>> BTW can you tell me how to get rid of color (ANY color) in xterms?  I
>> can't find it in the manpages (nothing in there about the prompt, and
>> nothing telling about an option to run them b/w).
>>
>> I basically stick to an old SuSE where color wasn't in there by
>> default.  I use a very soft/neutral background and find anything bright
>> distracting.  Even boldface is distracting.
>
> Are you running a greyscale desktop? I very much doubt it because this would
> mean working in 'colour-blind mode'. Either way, YaST enables you to change
> the palette to project different colours (or none). It can be altered in all
> sorts of way. The function is actually there.
>
> I don't know about changing colours in xterm, but with consoles you can
> achieve just about anything (any colour), window decorations aside. You can
> also customise bash to use little or no colours, e.g. by aliasing some
> common commands like /ls/, which _may_ highlight with colours by default.
> But colours are your friend, IMO. Colours makes information more condensed,
> so your mind can receive more data without motion of the eye or head. Think,
> for example, about colouring replies (multiple levels, different colours) in
> a newsreader.

Only Roy could consider explaining to someone who doesn't want colours
forced on him why colours are better. Only Roy would consider the OP to
be stupid enough to warrant such an explanation. This is the same Roy
who explained the benefits of "multi panes" a few days ago : apparently
they are so "information is side by side". Err, thanks for that Einstein.

This may surprise you Roy, but its about "choice".

And I for one don't like my consoles flashing like a dancers lingerie
either.

The OP is of course correct : too much effort going into "me too" themes
and styles as opposed to usability and HW integration.

--
Might not be suitable for persons suffering from weak hearts.