Re: [News] MySQL on the 'Invisible Hand'

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 03 October 2006 14:13 \__

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/02/HNmysqlinterview_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/02/HNmysqlinterview_1.html

>> The latter (closing) part echoes the issues that may plague Microsoft and
>> led it to the production of shoddy software that never gets delivered. No
>> competition, no ambition, no innovation, the customer suffers. PostgreSQL
>> could soon give them a wakeup call.
>
> My view is don't be complaisant, your MySQL installs are much more tricky
> now than they once were. I used to put on a blindfold, tie one arm behind
> my back and hop on one leg just to make the install more interesting. But
> can't do that these days, haven't managed a clean one step install for ages
> on Redhat or suse (I mean manual install).
>
> Then they is the failed upgrade and the difficulties in back peddling to
> the previous working system.
>
> MySQL is a great product, but they is a lot to keep the chaps busy.

Yes, I agree. There's nothing more dangerous than reaching a state of static
development (or bugfixes only), which leaves only marketing in the picture.
The one thing worse than this lack of ambition is lack of competition, which
is sometimes a by-product of proprietary formats that lock the customer in
for good.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com