[News] MySQL on the 'Invisible Hand'

MySQL sees 'invisible hand' at work in open source

,----[ Quote ]
| IDGNS: Is MySQL's current dominance of the open-source database market ever
| a cause for concern?
|
| Mickos: I do hear sometimes from staff, "We're great. We don't need to
| work." But then our engineers are very self-deprecating and they get
| embarrassed about any problems. It's a balancing act. Sometimes, I have
| to say to the organization, "Cheer up, we have a great product;" other
| times, "Don't be complaisant. We're not done yet." If we're good, we
| keep going at it until we feel we're done and can rest. If something bad
| happens, we should work a little bit harder to get it done. Like it
| looked bad when Oracle acquired InnoDB. At first it was "What the heck
| are we going to do?" But we turned it to our advantage.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/02/HNmysqlinterview_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/10/02/HNmysqlinterview_1.html

The latter (closing) part echoes the issues that may plague Microsoft and led
it to the production of shoddy software that never gets delivered. No
competition, no ambition, no innovation, the customer suffers. PostgreSQL
could soon give them a wakeup call.