Re: [News] Another Open Source Player Joins the Arena, Backed by Millions

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Mulesource gets behind open source ESB platform
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The latest project to come out of the shadows to challenge the
> | incumbent, proprietary software vendors is Mule, a popular open
> | source integration/enterprise service bus platform.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | To kickstart the company, MuleSource has banked $4 million in venture
> | capital funding from Hummer Winblad and Morgenthaler. With the company
> | launch, MuleSource also announced partnerships with several companies,
> | including  ActiveGrid, Alfresco, cohesiveFT, EnterpriseDB, Funambol,
> | GigaSpaces, Hyperic, Interface21, Jaspersoft, MySQL, OpenLogic and
> | SugarCRM.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3703

"MuleSourceâs support and services will start at $12,000 per server, which
Rosenberg claimed is around 10 percent of what proprietary vendors such as
BEA, IBM ..."

That isn't true, I pay much less than $12000pa for full hardware 4 hour
response support on my HPs.

But still, MuleSource seems to be aiming for the big work horse database
servers so you could understand them being a little over zealous in
priceing because they are very likely going to need highly skilled
UNIX/Linux staff, database developers to aid and plan migrations, plus very
likely a high insurance premium (in case one of their people leans on the
customers one button recovery button while last years tape is in the slot).