Re: ark - deleting folders within archives

  • Subject: Re: ark - deleting folders within archives
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:29:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Ben Paley ] on Tuesday 19 September 2006 13:31 \__

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Ark 2.6.3 under KDE 3.5.3 in FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE.
>
> Regularly I make a tgz of a directory and its sub-directories using ark.
> Occasionally I need to remove a couple of the subdirectories for reasons of
> space (they are enormous but not very important), so I right-click on the
> directory and choose "delete". I wait a while, and get an error message
> saying that the deletion failed, even though in fact the directory has been
> removed from the archive.
>
> Obviously this is not terribly important since the deletion is taking place
> correctly, but the error message is slightly worrying and quite annoying -
> where is it coming from and how can I get rid of it?

I guess this might be a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I know it
doesn't help you identify the issue, but there has been no reply for a
couple of weeks. I suggest that in order to (re/)gain confidence you should
just do a test run, comressing, uncompressing, compraring file sizes etc.
(e.g. du ~/before_deletion > old ; du ~/after_deletion > new; diff old new).
It serves as a sanity check.