Re: [News] Windows Vista: Delays, Delays, More Delays and Doubt

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 02 October 2006 15:48 \__

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

> 5 million testers? Lets say 5 bugs per user, 25 million reports.
>
> Thats impossible, the MS SQL datadase server couldn't cope with that rate
> of data input. It seems to choke a little when you hit the 256000 data
> object mark without a decent rest period (cacheing is all very well, but
> you have to abandon the cache and just get writing the data at busy
> sometimes).
>
> Perhaps someone could offer them a linux with MySQL on it for consolodating
> their bug reports.

Well, the Bugzilla concept has already been copied, so Internet Explorer
bugs, for example, can be handled in a way that involved the community of
users. Did I say /community/? *gasp*

Either way, in the above case, any tester would just become some
insignificant statistic rather than one heroic contributer. It's more like
an exploitation of lab rats rather than a request for kind attention and
borrowing of one's mind. That's the difference between being a Windows user
(tester) and being an opensuse tester the way I see it. You can actually
speak to the developer directly rather than send some insignificant 'pulse'
when your system hits a BSoD.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s):  21.3% user,   3.0% system,   1.0% nice,  74.7% idle