Re: PCLinuxOS screwed my Grub settings

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ Rick ] on Monday 02 October 2006 05:19 \__

I just installed PCLinuxOS. It's Grub overwrote the MBR and I was left
with only being able to boot it for a while. I was able to write a new
menulist, and am now able to boot all three partitions, but that was a
hell of a learning exerience...

.... but you know... in PCLinuxOS.. everything just works. The rest of the
OS looks fairly good to me this time. We'll see when I try t install
VMWare and nVidia.

It's worth keeping a backup of your boot sector. It's a one time thing.

dd if=/dev/hddXXX of=bootsect.lnx size=512 count=1    (change XXX)

You can always restore the machine's old state, reverting back to sanity and
then accessing the editor to modify things as required.

mbr_backup was/is present on the Suse 9.3 partition, which I could mount. That's how I could get to the Suse 9.3 menu'list and learn how to edit it for Suse, which is not the same, exactly, as for PCLinuxOS.

--
Rick