Re: PCLinuxOS screwed my Grub settings

  • Subject: Re: PCLinuxOS screwed my Grub settings
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:37:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rick ] on Monday 02 October 2006 05:19 \__

> I just installed PCLinuxOS. It's Grub overwrote the MBR and I was left
> with only being able to boot it for a while. I was able to write a new
> menulist, and am now able to boot all three partitions, but that was a
> hell of a learning exerience...
>
> .... but you know... in PCLinuxOS.. everything just works. The rest of the
> OS looks fairly good to me this time. We'll see when I try t install
> VMWare and nVidia.

It's worth keeping a backup of your boot sector. It's a one time thing.

dd if=/dev/hddXXX of=bootsect.lnx size=512 count=1    (change XXX)

You can always restore the machine's old state, reverting back to sanity and
then accessing the editor to modify things as required.