Re: [News] RISC OS Releases Source Code

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 02 October 2006 06:33 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> RISC OS 5 source code release revealed
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Castle and RISC OS Open Ltd have revealed their ambitious plan to release
>>| the source code of various RISC OS 5 components. Under a so-called
>>| 'shared source initiative', a phased release of RISC OS is promised to
>>| take place over the next few months - starting with applications
>>| including Paint, Edit, Draw, Configure, Unicode, the web browser Browse,
>>| and the printer manager. The Shared C Library and RISC OS build scripts
>>| will also be released, according to CTL and ROS Open.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1706.html
>>
>> Their head manager has been talking about and pondering Open Source for a
>> while. Last month he was discussing the merits and the financial impact of
>> OS.
>>
>> As a side note, this morning I came across an abscure standalone O/S (not
>> Web-based and not ReactOS). Have a look:
>>
>> http://www.menuetos.net/
>
> Looking down the comments, it appears that the licensing terms are not
> going to be all that popular.  I wonder if RiscOS shouldn't consider
> dual licensing to include GPL?  I know that moving to a support-model is
> a risk, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done.

I've pulled the following from my Web browser's history:

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1695.html

I think it demonstrates the rationale behind this decision. Dual licensing is
the key to success, according to a very recent article. It's a case of
evolve or die. I think that RISC may evolve in the wrong direction.

How to use open source as a power marketing tool

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/management/04/06/24/2057239.shtml

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"
Swap:  1036184k total,   340852k used,   695332k free,   112416k cached