Re: [News] Busting Common Linux Myths

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 02 October 2006 05:58 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Myths about Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Myths/Fallacies/Lies/FUD ]
>>| Myth 1: Linux is too hard to use for the novice user or Linux is
>>| difficult to install!
>>|
>>| Myth 2: Linux has no technical support!
>>|
>>| Myth 3: Linux has limited hardware support!
>>|
>>| Myth 4: There is not much software available for Linux
>>|
>>| Myth 5: You cannot run Microsoft Windows programs or MacOSX programs on
>>| Linux
>> `----
>>
>> http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/09/10/myths-about-linux/
>
> It's quite interesting how the basic fud hasn't really changed in 10
> years.  Yet, Linux is so slick at installs and package management, that
> virtually zero user intervention is required in such tasks, and so
> effective at supporting non-native binaries that even many games will
> run on it.

I think advertising could help fight the FUD [1,2], but we would never want
Linux to achieve that quick win using methods that speaks to the 'masses'
(and are sometimes viral [3]). People need to adjust themselves to a new
state of mind or -- shall we say -- a paradigm whereub merits should be
judged and advertisements are perceived as cost raisers rather than an
inidcation of quality. Finally, I suspect that the advancement of Free
Culture (Wikipedia etc.) will help people accept that shift in perception
and judgment. Or so one would hope...

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] Microsoft still spreads FUD: http://youtube.com/watch?v=86j8zOsmNFE

[2] Get the facts compaign, shill journalists, Yankee Group,
Microsoft-commissioned studies, etc.

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie