Re: Copying a partition from one disk to another

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> suggested:
rs> Another approach:
rs> dd if=/dev/hdd0 of=/some-location/hdd0.img

In article news:<99q4v3-hk4.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Davies wrote:
cd> This is an (inefficient) partition image copy.

Daniel James <wastebasket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asked:
dj> Inefficient? Do you mean inefficient because it uses a partition
dj> image, or that it is an inefficient way of making/using a partition
dj> image?

The latter, for two reasons off-hand:
    *	It copies the entire parition including unused space
    *	It copies the parition in 512 byte chunks (eg try "bs=1m")

dj> [...this will work, and...]
dj> I can then resize the filesystem with resize_reiserfs, so the
dj> method does provide a possible solution.

In your original post ISTR that you asked for an ext2/3 target rather
than reiserfs. If you're happy with reiserfs on the target then I would
agree that this is indeed a possible solution.

Chris