Re: [News] RPM vs. DEB Differences/Anomalies Resolved

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Monday 02 October 2006 01:10 \__
>
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <EFYTg.7175$Bw6.7161@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> yttrx@xxxxxxxxx (yttrx) writes:

>>> Alright look, seriously, alien has been around for centuries, and
>>> has always worked great.
>>>
>>> Also, interestingly, if you use Alien on an Ubuntu system to convert
>>> an RPM to a .deb package, and you install it with the package
>>> manager, it shows up in Synaptic under a dedicated list of alien
>>> conversion packages.
>>>
>>> Pretty cool.
>>
>> Very cool indeed. How can OSS do all this? I mean, it is all done by
>> a bunch of amateurs if we are to believe the wintrolls.
>
> The fragmentation in packaging is commonly-used FUD. I hope it's just another
> myth that will find its way down into the drain (GNOME/KDE is another
> similar piece of FUD which goes along the same lines). Choices are
> interchangeable rather than inter-conflicting, e.g. lilo/grub.
>
> FWIW, I never knew about alien before and wasn't aware of its relevance as
> news.

I've used it in the past, but not for a long time.  There are now so
many debian repositories, that I can usually find one which has what I
need.  My current sources-list is quite long!

Emacs, n.:
	A slow-moving parody of a text editor.