Re: [News] Aero Glass: Another Java 'Penalty' in Windows

Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <3453432.YB4Cded7dP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Full OpenGL will only be available when installing an ICD (like the one
>> > from nVidia), but then Aeroglass will no longer run
>> >
>> > According to opengl.org there is absolutely no technical reason to do
>> > it that way, only political ones. They think that MS will try to hinder
>> > OpenGL by forcing DirectX and hampering OpenGL at the same time
>>

>> Thanks for the information, Peter. This gives more fuel to this argument.
>> I notice that the contraction came from [H]omer's blog. See comment in:
>
> The Khronos Group says Peter is wrong:

Nope, they say there will be OpenGL drivers (not included with vista) which
will not have the extremely bad performance of the MS drivers

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3760

/quote
However, the OpenGL ICD drivers must still be downloaded and will not ship
on the Windows Vista installation disc. Khronos said that NVIDIA already
has a beta 2 ICD OpenGL driver available and ATI will release its own soon.
If no ICD is present, Windows Vista will rely on the layered OpenGL mode by
default and only offer basic functionality.
/unquote

You might also read this

>From the article:

"In practice this means for OpenGL under Aeroglass: OpenGL performance will
be significantly reduced - perhaps as much as 50%, OpenGL on Windows will
be fixed at a vanilla version of OpenGL 1.4, No extensions will be possible
to expose future hardware innovations. It would be technically
straightforward to provide an OpenGL ICD within the full Aeroglass
experience without compromising the stability or the security of the
operating system. Layering OpenGL over Direct3D is a policy more than a
technical decision."

In short, what I wrote was accurate. And you are full of it

< snip >

--
Windows was created to keep stupid people away from UNIX."
  -- Tom Christiansen