Re: [News] Aero Glass: Another Java 'Penalty' in Windows

  • Subject: Re: [News] Aero Glass: Another Java 'Penalty' in Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:00:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Sunday 01 October 2006 08:54 \__

> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Tim Smith ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 16:47 \__

>>> I stand corrected having read that item from August 2006.
>>>

>> Actually, I remain unconvinced about that.

I do too. I still remember the post where Boilo said that Google is the
default search engine in IE7 (beta/RC). This /completely/ contradicts
anything that was agreed upon/settled in court. So, I assured him Microsoft
would have that changed at the 90th minute, just before the release is
finalised. Once it's up on the shelf, with Microsoft in an unjustified
position of advantage, they will just say "oops" and walk away.

Same situation when it comes to link to Live services (MSN) on the desktop...

They try to mitigate the risk of lawsuits /before/ Vista is ready. First they
nuke, then they investigate. Same with the MBR purging, which will eliminate
(access to) many Linux partitions, leave novice-level users confused, and
possibly lead them to blaming Linux (seen that before!).

> You absolutely should be unconvinced
> According to MS, OpenGL will run in a DirectX->OpenGL Translator when using
> Aeroglass. It is limited to OpenGL 1.4 functionality *without* any
> 3rd-party extensions.
> 3D-modeler with shading will not be able to run when using Aeroglass
> Even OpenGL CAD software without shading will be able to run only with
> emulation, resulting in a 20% to 50% performance loss
>
> Full OpenGL will only be available when installing an ICD (like the one
> from nVidia), but then Aeroglass will no longer run
>
> According to opengl.org there is absolutely no technical reason to do it
> that way, only political ones. They think that MS will try to hinder OpenGL
> by forcing DirectX and hampering OpenGL at the same time

Thanks for the information, Peter. This gives more fuel to this argument. I
notice that the contraction came from [H]omer's blog. See comment in:

http://slated.org/vista_kills_opengl

>> It would be absolutely in
>> line with Microsoft's normal business practices, based on their history,
>> to do exactly this.  "Dos ain't done until lotus won't run" springs to
>> mind.  I think it highly likely that OpenGL is less performant than
>> DirectX when it all appears, and I think the justification for the
>> trolls like Tim and Erik will be "OpenGL hasn't been degraded at all,
>> it's just that DirectX has been improved".
>>

> Well, Tim and Erik are full of it
>
>> Now, note this post, archive it or something, and wait 9 months until
>> Vista emerges (or however long it is), and see what happens.  I'll buy a
>> reasonable amount of beer if I'm wrong!
>
> You'll remain sober then

I suggest you read the following.

Microsoft weakens OpenGL

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenGL Foundation claims that the software giant, Microsoft is trying
| to shaft its free specification with the introduction of its super
| soar-away version of its Windows operating system Vista.
|
| The foundation has issued a call to arms here, over Vole's plan to
| layer OpenGL over Direct3D in Vista.

Guilty as charged!