Re: [News] Aero Glass: Another Java 'Penalty' in Windows

  • Subject: Re: [News] Aero Glass: Another Java 'Penalty' in Windows
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 17:24:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Sunday 01 October 2006 08:54 \__
>
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Actually, I remain unconvinced about that.
>

> I do too. I still remember the post where Boilo said that Google is the
> default search engine in IE7 (beta/RC). This /completely/ contradicts
> anything that was agreed upon/settled in court. So, I assured him Microsoft
> would have that changed at the 90th minute, just before the release is
> finalised. Once it's up on the shelf, with Microsoft in an unjustified
> position of advantage, they will just say "oops" and walk away.
>
> Same situation when it comes to link to Live services (MSN) on the desktop...
>
> They try to mitigate the risk of lawsuits /before/ Vista is ready. First they
> nuke, then they investigate. Same with the MBR purging, which will eliminate
> (access to) many Linux partitions, leave novice-level users confused, and
> possibly lead them to blaming Linux (seen that before!).
>

>> You absolutely should be unconvinced
>> According to MS, OpenGL will run in a DirectX->OpenGL Translator when using
>> Aeroglass. It is limited to OpenGL 1.4 functionality *without* any
>> 3rd-party extensions.
>> 3D-modeler with shading will not be able to run when using Aeroglass
>> Even OpenGL CAD software without shading will be able to run only with
>> emulation, resulting in a 20% to 50% performance loss
>>
>> Full OpenGL will only be available when installing an ICD (like the one
>> from nVidia), but then Aeroglass will no longer run
>>
>> According to opengl.org there is absolutely no technical reason to do it
>> that way, only political ones. They think that MS will try to hinder OpenGL
>> by forcing DirectX and hampering OpenGL at the same time
>

> Thanks for the information, Peter. This gives more fuel to this argument. I
> notice that the contraction came from [H]omer's blog. See comment in:
>
> http://slated.org/vista_kills_opengl

This pretty much falls into line with what I expected Microsoft to do.
It's called monopoly abuse, and should be highlighted to the EU, I
suppose.  They really don't care, do they?  Maybe they're full of Oliver
Wongs who see themselves as above the law.

>>> It would be absolutely in
>>> line with Microsoft's normal business practices, based on their history,
>>> to do exactly this.  "Dos ain't done until lotus won't run" springs to
>>> mind.  I think it highly likely that OpenGL is less performant than
>>> DirectX when it all appears, and I think the justification for the
>>> trolls like Tim and Erik will be "OpenGL hasn't been degraded at all,
>>> it's just that DirectX has been improved".
>>>

>> Well, Tim and Erik are full of it
>>
>>> Now, note this post, archive it or something, and wait 9 months until
>>> Vista emerges (or however long it is), and see what happens.  I'll buy a
>>> reasonable amount of beer if I'm wrong!
>>
>> You'll remain sober then
>

> I suggest you read the following.
>
> Microsoft weakens OpenGL
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The OpenGL Foundation claims that the software giant, Microsoft is trying
>| to shaft its free specification with the introduction of its super
>| soar-away version of its Windows operating system Vista.
>|
>| The foundation has issued a call to arms here, over Vole's plan to
>| layer OpenGL over Direct3D in Vista.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25215
>
> Guilty as charged!

Yup - I was hoping for a little suspense, maybe a few weeks or
something, but a few hours... aww, come on chaps, you've got to give
Erik a chance!

1 1 was a race-horse, 2 2 was 1 2. When 1 1 1 1 race, 2 2 1 1 2.