Re: [News] GNU Brings Encrypted IP-based Telephony

  • Subject: Re: [News] GNU Brings Encrypted IP-based Telephony
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:28:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Secure Calling Initiative comes through GNU
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=188
>>>
>>> The US government has already expressed dissatisfaction with this
>>> because it hinders/eliminates eavesdropping efforts.
>>>

>> Governments in general probably won't like it, but I can't really see
>> any difference between this approach and using en-clair SIP/VoIP in
>> IPSec or a ssh tunnel or similar.  I wonder how they'll approach legal
>> intercept in the future?
>>

> I was reading an article in a Swiss newspaper the other day. It seems that
> the Swiss secret service had exactly the same question. The answer was that
> the went to a software company in Zug, which wrote a program that can be
> remotely inserted into the operating system of some computer connected to
> the Internet. Upon insertion, the program channels all voice calls to a
> listening centre.

Legal intercept has been a feature of telco networks for donkey's years;
governments still very much like to be able to eavesdrop on whoever they
like.  People tend to think of mobile networks being secure, but once in
the optical network, on G.711 PCM, your voice is en-clair anyway.  I think
it probably suits governments that people believe it's more secure than
it is.

Really paranoid users have scrambling capabilities, these days,
scrambling is so good that probably only traffic analysis is possible.

> The software also permits microphones connected to the computer to be turned
> on remotely so that it is then possible to listen to what is happening in
> the room.
>
> The company is also considering enabling a video camera, if it is attached
> so that it is also possible to see what is happening in the room with the
> computer.
>
> The article didn't mension what operating system this program was designed
> for, but it doesn't take a genius to work out which OS permits software to
> be remotely inserted.

Hehe - yeah, we all know which one that will be.

There can be no daily democracy without daily citizenship.
		-- Ralph Nader