Re: [News] Will Cisco Be a Linux Victim?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Will Cisco Be a Linux Victim?
  • From: BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:55:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004223
> http://tinyurl.com/t8cfw

The Linux based routers I have have proven themselves to be extreemly good.
Route Finder being a particularly good one.

What you get is basically a full Linux. You can ssh (also has a browser
interface) in to it, then treat it in the same way as a server. So firewall
and routing setup is exactly the same as we are used to. Add to that it's
ability to be a much more intelligent DHCP server than most routers around
then it really is a very good system for us in the Linux camp.

The only down side is that it sits there drawing so little attention to
itself that you tend to forget what it is, so if you unplug it to move it,
it has to go through a very long restart checking it's drives because some
sod (that's me) didn't shut it down properly.

Cisco have been the big boys of routing for a long time, I am sure they
could come up with a Linux version if they really wanted to. But when I was
looking at routers, when I ended up with the Route Finder, I wanted
something a bit more intelligent than the standard ones, the Cisco's that
would have given me the control similar to what I get from the Route Finder
were many times the cost of it.

Having said that, the Route Finder I am using isn't sat in an area of high
traffic, so I can't tell you how well it would cope.