Re: [News] First RISC OS with Shared Source Code Released

  • Subject: Re: [News] First RISC OS with Shared Source Code Released
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:49:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> RISC OS 5.12 released with price tag
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A fortnight after announcing plans to share the RISC OS 5 source
>| code, developers Castle have slapped a 69 quid price tag on their
>| latest OS upgrade. The news has lead to some confusion over the
>| future direction of the operating system, and fuelled concern
>| that crucial components of RISC OS 5 will remain closed source
>| as chargeable updates.
> `----
>
> http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1717.html
>
> Sounds a bit like Apple's kernel and Sun's OpenSolaris. Many
> operating systems go Open Source (at least partially). Who
> will it be next? Symbian, Windows, the Unixes... Palm OS is
> already slated to be replaced by Linux...  Hurd and BSD's
> are already there... DOS has leaked through Google's code
> search and FreeDOS 1.0 is ready...

It looks like the proprietary portions of code are becoming smaller and
smaller components of the overall systems.  This is probably an
inevitable consequence of the economic environment which open-source
free-software introduces.  It's not possible to compete with free
anyway, so why bother?  Instead, keep a small something to yourself, and
free up the rest.  That way, you get to share development costs and such
like with others, whilst making the best of your proprietary bit.

I think this increasingly fine-grained progression will continue for
many years to come.

Department chairmen never die, they just lose their faculties.