Re: [News] Samba Further Improves Interoperability

  • Subject: Re: [News] Samba Further Improves Interoperability
  • From: BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:40:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> New Samba Features Improve Interoperability
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Columnist Eric Hall takes you through the newest release
> | of Samba, the popular open source program that allows end
> | users to access and use files, printers, and other commonly
> | shared resources on an intranet or via the Web.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193303529

I can't really see why some of the services listed, such as
dhcp/lpad/named/apache2, would benefit from being exposed via Samba.

If you do need to restart a service you ssh into the box and set it off.
Exposing them as a service seems to me frought with risk. How would you
like a hacker switching off your dhcp after he has set up a dhcp service on
his own PC passing information of his own in place of yours.

Or maybe he would prefer to switch off clamd while his code passes
worms/trogens/spies around your system.

I'm sure the Samba people have taken great care in their work as always, but
if there is a real benefit from adding risks such as these when it doesn't
seem necessary, then it is completely lost on me.