Re: [News] PlayStation 3 Will Offer Linux for Free (with Exceptions)

  • Subject: Re: [News] PlayStation 3 Will Offer Linux for Free (with Exceptions)
  • From: B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:48:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wednesday 18 October 2006 21:36 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Free Linux on PS3 this year
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | What's more, if you wait a little while it won't actually cost
> | anything. Terra Soft's "YDL.net" service users (who pay a fee)
> | will be able to get it first, as a PC distribution that allows
> | for the creation of a PS3 install-disc; then two weeks later
> | you'll be able to order ready-made PS3 install discs for a cost;
> | and another two weeks after that the PS3 distribution will be
> | released onto public mirrors.
> `----
>
> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68795
>
> $600 for a powerful gaming box and a virus-free computer seems
> like a bargain all of a sudden.
>
> ,----[ Further quote ]
> | As well as a single-click install mode for Linux newbies,
> | Terra Soft will include an advanced installer. The operatings
> | ystem itself is based on the Fedora Core 5, with an integrated
> | E17 desktop, and bundled FireFox 1.5.0, Thunderbird 1.5.0,
> | OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 and other applications.
> `----
>
> This brings computing to some households that previously had
> no PC/s.

If you'll pardon the vernacular, this is starting to look bloody brilliant
to me.  One of the main reasons put forward here NOT to go with Linux is
"Linux doesn't do games".
In point of fact, the PC has never really been a good games platform - if
you want games, get a games console (imo).
This now turns it on its head.....
..instead of "Buy a PC, and by the way, you can play games on it...", it now
becomes "Here is a really good games console, and by the way, it doubles as
a really good PC"!
Way to go.  For a serious 'puter, use Linux.  For games, use a PS3, and get
a very capable computer thrown in:-)