Re: [News] Operating System 'Maintenance'

begin  oe_protect.scr
BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> [H]omer wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Do You Maintain Your OS on a Regular Basis?
>>
>> Yes, I maintain my Linux systems every second of every day; at least
>> that's what the mail in my local root mailbox tells me. If it wasn't for
>> those messages, I wouldn't even know that anything was being maintained.
>>

> I have to admit I am much the same these days. I used to read my logs
> religiously (on my knees with my bum in the air), but I tend to be very lax
> now, just look in when they is already a visible hint of trouble.

It's actually a notable problem... because linux systems are so
reliable, there is a tendency to ignore them until something really bad
happens.  In terms of risk/reward, it's sensible behaviour on average,
but I think that much more use of things like RAID are fairly essential
to keeping the risk-side down.

So, who has a motherboard which can switch a drive into a RAID array
once a week to sync it..?

consultant, n.:
	Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.