Re: [News] More EULA Craziness

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Vista EULA restricts display to one person
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Paragraph 3C of the EULA states that while the software
>| is running, you can use but not share its icons, images,
>| sounds and media.
>|
>| If Microsoft means to word the EULA this way, that implies
>| you can't use projectors or linked video monitors if there's
>| more than one human being present.
>|
>| It also implies that you can't take a screen shot of the
>| Vista desktop.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35108
>
> Debian's disagreement to copyrights and trademarks
> (e.g. Firefox logo) seems to address such unacceptable
> treatment of the end-user.

There's a lot of derision saved for RMS and Debian, /but/, there are
some very important underlying principles to their positions which they
are quite correct to observe and maintain.

We have some very fundamental difficulties with respect to how our legal
systems work, many of the principles having been set up well before any
can of electronic transport or duplication of anything could have been
possible.  Indeed, even the projection of images wasn't practical until
lenses had been developed.

Either we need some new laws, or we need some new business models.  Or
maybe we need both.

consultant, n.:
	Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.