Re: [News] Microsoft Wants to Compete with/Kill PDF

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JDS
<jeffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:04:09 -0400
<pan.2006.10.17.19.04.09.620727@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:49:21 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>
>> So how come Open office has PDF capabilities?
>
> Because PDF is an "open", available, documented format that anyone can
> implement.
>
> I'm not clear on the Adobe vs MS fight on PDF in MS Office.

Microsoft has created the XML Paper Specification (XPS),
which is apparently its answer to PDF.  (I have no clue
as to why they bothered.)  There are various issues in
whether Office will properly support PDF in the future,
and it's not even clear to me as to whether Adobe will
allow them to generate PDF, or not.

XPS is licensed via a royalty-free copyright license for
the document, and a royalty-free patent/indemnification
license on any implementations of the spec.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/xpslicense.mspx

for the details.

To Microsoft's credit, XPS will be relatively open,
at least according to

http://www.itjungle.com/two/two011806-story01.html

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because Windows' Blue Screen Of Death is just
way too frightening to novice users.