Re: [News] 3D Linux Desktops to Improve Productivity?

__/ [ ed ] on Monday 16 October 2006 22:11 \__

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:50:57 +0100
>
>> 3D desktop computing with Mandriva and SabayonLinux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Overall though, I am one of the persons who enjoy the concept of a
>> | 3D desktop. There are voices in the Linux community saying that this
>> | is nothing but useless eye candy, but I happen to believe that a 3D
>> | accelerated desktop has a potential to increase one's productivity
>> | on our computers once the new habits become entrenched.
>> `----
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20061016#blog
>>
>> Plenty more in this weekly newsletter.
>
> it's hard to believe that the 3d effects alone can help.. the other
> features of beryl might, i preferred the earlier UI post of yours today
> for improved usability.

Which part of Metisse? The earlier work on slanted windows or that which
enables UI's to adapt and be refined/customised? This idea os adaptive
interfaces is discussed rather frequently these days. It's almost as though
a productivity barrier has been reached (larger/more monitors, still same
old peripherals). Different people can harness different levels of
complexity as they go along and it depends on the tasks most routinely used
(GNOME vs. KDE debates spring to mind). Also see:

Sci-Fi: A New Kind of OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Consider the obvious advantages to an operating system that actually
| morphed and adapted to the needs of the users instead of the other way
| around. Not only is there no such OS like this, the very idea goes
| against much of what we are currently seeing in the current OS options in
| the market.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2309

I keep finding ways of customising KDE and using its features to the extreme.
Even after many years of regular use I continue to find shortcuts (and new
innovative features that come with each release of KDE). KDE (KWin and
Konqueror in particular) are way, way ahead of competing navigator/WM's on
competing platforms that require heaps of resource-hungry, third-party
extensions in oder to become more usable. But how does one demonstrate KDE
to an outsider and make it 'digestable' too?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
Swap:  1036184k total,   491464k used,   544720k free,    37264k cached