Re: [News] 81% of Software in Africa Not Commericial/Paid For

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:54:10 +0100
<5110129.N0sMHPv4nF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft reams out Africa
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Microsoft reality configuration team is getting plenty
> | of mileage out of a shock-horror claim that 81% of computers
> | oftware now in use in Africa is illegal or, put another way,
> | it wasn't bought from Microsoft.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | And this time the BSA (Business Software Alliance), whose
> | imaginative stats have been called into question, and of
> | which Microsoft is a member, wasn't pumping out the numbers.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The dread spectre of Open Source wasn't raised, apparently
> `----

Somehow, I don't see "Deathlinux" being such a hot seller.... :-)
Then again, one never knows.  Besides, there's no point in a
penguin wearing a cowl and holding an archaic weapon.  Have him
hold something a little more modern, like

http://flakmag.com/misc/linux.html

:-)

(BTW: near as I can tell the launcher looks like it was lifted from
Quake III, in general concept anyway.)

> http://p2pnet.net/story/10123
>
> It would be easier to call Linux/OSS users "pirates who use Windows
> illegally". The illusionary 'market share' disinformation tactic...

Indeed.

> Here's a short sample of recent links:
>
> South Africa: Open Source 'Helps You And Helps SA'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | South African companies are being urged to adopt open source software so
> | they can not only cut their running costs but also contribute to job
> | creation and boost the national economy.
> `----
>
>                         http://allafrica.com/stories/200605180189.html
>
> Africa: Africans Need to Develop Open Source Software
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Open source gives users freedom to create their projects. We need to
> | be innovative. Proprietary software does not give us that freedom, we
> | cannot change it or play with it to adapt to our needs. We want the
> | freedom to learn, we want to be able to check and change the source
> | code of open source software," Jollitte said.
> `----
>
> http://allafrica.com/stories/200609130898.html
>
> Ubuntu, Open Source invades Remote Rural Zimbabwe/Zambia

Oh no, not the dreaded Software Invasion(tm)!  Whatever shall we
do?  Oh the horror! :-)

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | They have chosen Open Source as a platform. One of the centres is
> | purely Ubuntu including desktops.
> `----
>
> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Open_Source_invades_Remote_Rural_Zimbabwe_Zambia

I'll admit I wouldn't know Tonga from Tango, but more power to 'em.
:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
a lot of hot air and vapor.