Re: Manager Swaps Aimed at Saving Windows

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Microsoft security chief is reassigned
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has improved its reputation for security of late, but over the
> | last few months there has been a spike in the number of reported
> | vulnerabilities in its software and the total number of patches issued by
> | the company. On Tuesday, the company issued patches for 26 bugs in its
> | software, the largest single-day patch release in recent memory.
> `----

<snip>

> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6125274.html
>
> Black Hat Takes Vista to Task
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | She demonstrated two potential attack vectors. One could allow unsigned
> | code to be loaded into the Vista kernel. The second vector involved
> | taking advantage of AMD's Pacific Hardware Virtualization to inject a
> | new form of super malware that Rutkowska claimed to be undetectable.
> `----
>
>                 http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3624861

You might want to take a look at "Blue Pill".  The prototype was
Vista,x64 but according to the above Black Hat:

<Quote>
Rutkowska stressed that the Blue Pill technology does not rely on any
bug of the underlying operating system. "I have implemented a working
prototype for Vista x64, but I see no reasons why it should not be
possible to port it to other operating systems, like Linux or BSD which
can be run on x64 platform," she added.

This is one that maybe the Linux people should be worried about as
well.

--
Tom Shelton