Re: Job Market is Changing...To Linux/OSS!

  • Subject: Re: Job Market is Changing...To Linux/OSS!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:27:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Thursday 12 October 2006 09:00 \__

> How times are changing!   Even here in Micro-Dweeb land where every 3rd
> person seems to be a Winbot or Vista-Tool.
>
> Anyway, I got an email from a recruiter friend of mine who is trying to
> fill
> a position.   Of note, the job skills are highly Linux/OSS (PHP) oriented!
> Rare was once the day when a Seattle recruiter would shop a Linux job
> around the Emerald City!
>
> Anyway, here is the description...for anyone who's interested...email me
> and I'll forward your name to her:
>

>> SOFTWARE TEST ENGINEER
>> This company is seeking a Software Test Engineer to fill a key role on our
>> test team. The successful candidate will be someone who thoroughly enjoys
>> having a large degree of responsibility and autonomy in the daily
>> <snip >

Recuitment for Open Source-related jobs is said to have adopted a different
strategy/pattern. Candidates are approached not through open advertisers,
but often through association. That is the difference between a market that
is reliant on marketing/advertisers (proprietary software) and that which is
more social.

Proprietary software: make buzz, noise, invest in rah-rah, big banners and
pamphlets.

Open source software: delivers high-quality software through free
(potentially) limited downloads. The customers will come.

Naturally, to an outsider that is not involved in the market, 'noise' will be
prominently present from just a a single side of this rivalry. It's not
indicative of money flow, employment, or popularity/power of a particular
technology.

Also see:

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced the "Microsoft BlogStars" contest, to Hunts
| for Developer Bloggers in India. After feeling the power and increase of
| the Bloggers community in India, Microsoft tries to trap and hunt Bloggers
| in India to buildup the blogging community, for writing blog posts
| supporting towards Microsoft Technologies.
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

Linux and Open Source: How They Affect HR Professionals

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/637577/linux_and_open_source_how_they_affect_hr_professionals/index.html?source=r_technology

--
For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,