Re: Libya to buy (Linux) laptops for all nation's kids

  • Subject: Re: Libya to buy (Linux) laptops for all nation's kids
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:26:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Dean G. ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 19:33 \__

> The government of Libya has reached an agreement with an American
> nonprofit group to provide inexpensive laptop computers for all of the
> nation's 1.2 million schoolchildren.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15219383/from/ET/
>
> "Expected to initially cost $150 and then be reduced in price, they
> will have wireless network access and run on an open-source operating
> system, such as Linux."

A whole new generation of UNIX Gurus? *smile*

While people constantly say that a million laptops in Negeria would be
harmful to the Web (SPAM stereotypes) or get stolen, I guess that as nuclear
programs have been conceded, children will thrive on education rather than
power for the dictatorship. Computer can be addictive, which keeps everyone
occupied, as well as openly exposed to a global community and rich
information sources. The pictures in the Wiki promote this idea of blending
among the OLPC community.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar

IMO, science, engineering and technology have always had this ability to
overcome prejudice, zeal, and segregation. Maybe this project which bridges
an education gap will benefit society by influencing the minds of a younger
generation.