Re: [News] Linux = Automatix (sic) Gear, Windows = Stick Shi(f)t

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 12 October 2006 09:39 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Patch Tuesday - manually
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Yesterday was patch Tuesday and you know what that meant: More critical
>> | holes - five, to be exact - in both Microsoft Office and Windows and
>> | this time around, because there was also a hole in the automatic
>> | 'update' system, updates had to be done manually...
>> `----
>>
>> http://p2pnet.net/story/10077
>>
>> Compare that with the automated patching system in Linux distributions,
>> which does /not/ require reboots (or the infamous "went to get some
>> coffee, got back to see I had lost all the work").
>
> You know it is so long since I had any problems with updates on my systems
> that I tend to forget they are happening at all.
>
> I used to always have a look to see what updates came in on the scheduled
> update, look at the list so I knew what was going on on my systems.
>
> It is quite a while since I bothered looking.

I have mine disabled, which I know is a bad practice. *frown* I disabled YOU
after it had nagged me a couple of times (slowing down the system and taking
up space in the panel). I'm not sure if Ubuntu gets updated in the
background. If it is, then I never noticed.