Re: [News] Nintendo's Wii Will Have Updatable Linux

>>> http://www.wii-linux.com/
>>> http://wii.nintendo.com/iwata_asks_vol1_p3.html?
>>>
>>> GPL-licensed.
>>
>>     Where do you see this?
>>
>>     The first link is an empty source forge project. Someone could just
>> as
>> easily create "wii-Vista" project.
>

> No, this has to go through careful moderation with a decent roposal and
> some
> code. SourceForge projects cannot be created as easily as, let us say, a
> hosted blog.

    Well, I've never had a project rejected by the SourceForge team, and
I've got something like 9 of them. Many of them are dead, because the team I
had assembled to work on it disbanded after losing interest. Some of the
projects (perhaps 2 of them?) have zero code at all, and are marked as being
in the "planning" stage.

>>     The second link is the official homepage of the source forge project.
>

> Yes.
>

>>     The third link is a lengthy interview. I didn't read through all of
>> it
>> (yet), but FireFox tells me "linu" does not ever appear on that page.
>

> You must be looking at the index page. Also see the following:

I'm looking at http://wii.nintendo.com/iwata_asks_vol1_p3.html? whose
heading is "Part 3 - Wii: Born Out of A Concrete Vision".

Now that I've read the interview, the closest (semantically) excerpt I could
find is:

<quote>
Wii is the first system from Nintendo that we can continue to be involved in
(via operating system updates) after the customer buys it. This means that
Wii will greatly expand and diversify the ways in which people will enjoy
games in the future.
</quote>

    Which is true of the X360 (you can already download updates to games you
own), and might be true of the PS3 as well (depending on their online
service strategy). Will Nintendo be required to release the source code? I'm
unsure. Yes, I know of the GPL, but perhaps Nintendo did not actually modify
any GPL code; perhaps they merely added closed source binaries running on
top of the Linux kernel, which I believe is legal as per the GPL. It's
interesting to watch.

> Does the Wii run Linux?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Blogger Kiyoshi Saruwatari claims that Nintendo's upcoming Wii console
> runs
> | on the open source Linux operating system.
[...]
> `----
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061009-7939.html

    Unfortunately, it turns out the Saruwatari blog was a hoax. I was
monitoring that blog for a while too. =/

    - Oliver